Description This pitcher is part of a teaset comprising a small teapot, a large teapot, a waste bowl, a covered sugar bowl, and this pitcher. In 1842 Staffordshire potter Charles Meigh registered "The Minster Jug" design, in which stoneware was decorated with impressed Gothic architectural niches containing figures (often these pieces are referred to as "Apostle" pitchers). These designs were seen in the 1862 International Exhibition in London and proved popular. They were copied by American potters and a version is known in silver. This set would have been particularly appropriate for use in the home of its former owner, the Rev. Libertus Van Bokkelen (1815-1889), rector of St. Timothy's Church, Catonsville, Maryland. The pitcher's handle has been repared with six metal staples.
Provenance Collection of Rev. Libertus Van Bokkelen, D.D., L.L.D [1815-1889] . Amy Allison Stirling (Mrs Campbell Lloyd Stirling); by bequest to the Walters Art Museum, 1989.  Rector of St. Timothy's Church, Catonsville, MD and grandfather of donor
Inscriptions [Stamp] 80 / 16
Credit Bequest of Amy Allison Stirling, 1989
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License