Description The central circular medallion of this footed plate or salver depicts Saint Emygdius, a bishop and martyr who was killed during the persecution of Diocletian (244-312 CE). During the eighteenth century, Emygdius became the patron saint of the town of Ascoli and guardian against earthquakes. He is depicted on this plate with a miter and crosier, rising from the clouds and holding the model of a city in the crook of his left arm. To the right, a little angel holds the traditional martyr’s palm. On the outer wide border, two curved sprays of flowers are tied with ribbon on either side of a winged insect. The back and the foot are white.The plate is characteristic of wares produced in the town of Castelli (not far from Ascoli) during the eighteenth century. For more on “maiolica,” see 48.1336. This footed plate or salver depicts Saint Emygdius (?), bishop and martyr. It is painted in blue, grey-green, yellow, ochre and manganese. It has a narrow raised border with palmettes on a pale yellow ground. Within a central circular medallion, enclosed by a wide border of two curved sprays of flowers tied with ribbon on either side of a winged insect is a bishop of abbot with a miter and crosier, rising from clouds and holding the model of a city in the crook of his left arm. At the right, a cupid is holding a martyr's palm. The back and the foot are white.
Provenance Don Marcello Massarenti Collection, Rome [no. 415]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1902, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters with the Massarenti Collection, 1902
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License