Description This candelabrum forms a garniture set with two smaller pieces (Walters 54.2309B and 54.2309C). Executed after designs by the French painter Pierre-Paul Prud'hon, this larger central piece represents the Three Graces with their arms raised to support a large basket-like arrangement which forms the candelabrum. The first proof of this work was cast in silver and was included in a service set offered to Empress Marie Louise by the City of Paris in 1810. Thomire was one of the most distinguished artists producing ormolu (gilded bronze) works during the latter part of the 18th century and during the First French Empire.
Provenance Owned by Isaac Lobe Straus; by bequest to Mr. Henry L. Straus; given to Walters Art Museum, 1946.
Credit Gift of Mr. Henry L. Straus in honor of his uncle Isaac Lobe Straus, 1946
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License