Description Walters manuscript W.579 opens with an illuminated headpiece containing a cartouche with the doxological formula (basmalah) in Tawqi' script. Fluid and curvilinear, Tawqi' script is used for headings and rarely used for the main text. As seen here, while having inscribed the headpiece with Tawqi', the scribe wrote the main text in alternating black Naskh and gold Thuluth. The Naskh panels are framed by medallions with a gold-tooled outline. The contours of the Thuluth lines are decorated with blue tendrils over a ground of red hatched lines. Gold rosettes mark the verse endings. The stamp in the right margin is the personal seal of the Vizier 'Ali Pasha, who gave the manuscript to an educational charity in 1130 AH/AD 1717.
- Masterpieces of Ornament. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1988.
- Speaking the Word of God: Illuminated Korans from the Walters Art Museum. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2007.
Provenance Vizier al-Shahid 'Ali Pasha, ca. 1130 AH/AD 1717 (?) [mode of acquisition unknown] [waqf-seal impression of the Vizier dated 1130 AH/AD 1717 with the original shelf mark 1414 on fols. 2a, 2b, and 3a]; Henry Walters, Baltimore [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License