Description Made of gold, these earrings have three flanged settings with stones, each set within a bead-edged frame, displayed against a roughly triangular sheet on the back of which the ear wire is attached. A pin concealed behind the transverse bar below the settings secures six pendant chains. Crumpled caps at the ends of the chains once covered the tops of glass beads which are now missing. Some of the stones and one of the pendant chains are also missing.
Provenance [From a tomb near Olbia, Parutino, Ukraine (?)]; F. L. van Gans, Frankfurt (?) [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; P. Mavrogordato, [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Galerie Bachstitz, The Hague [catalogue 1921, part II, lot 92 D]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1926, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1926
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License