Description The plate is rimmed with alternating V and koskoshnik shapes enameled in turquoise with green, white and red interlace. Attached to the central gilt ground is the collar of the Order St Andrew First Called, the highest order of imperial Russia established by Peter the Great in 1698. Double-headed eagles bearing shields with St. George and the Dragon are pinned to the plate's edges. At the apex of the collar is the crown of St. Andrew and, at the base, the cross of St. Andrew. Attached to the chain are medallions showing St. Andrew martyred on an X-shaped cross; the letter P for Peter the Great; the cross of St. Andrew, and St. George, the patron saint of Moscow.
Provenance Jean M. Riddell, Washington, D.C.; by bequest to Walters Art Museum, 2010.
Inscriptions [Symbols] crossed anchors, 88; [Mark] In Cyrillic: GA; [Inventory number] 815
Credit Bequest of Mrs. Jean M. Riddell, 2010
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License