Description The Guild of Women Binders was established by London bookseller Frank Karslake (1851–1920) to provide educated women with a respectable means of employment and a venue for artistic expression. Guild members followed the aesthetic and moral principles of William Morris (1834–96) and the Arts and Crafts movement, championing the creation of beautiful, hand-made objects over commercially mass-produced ones. This binding of hearts and tulips, although not signed by her, is thought to have been made by Florence de Rheims.
- Bookbindings from the Gilded Age. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2013-2014.
Provenance Acquired by Henry Walters, Baltimore, before 1931; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, before 1931
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License