Description Binding is non-original. Possibly fourteenth century; beech boards covered with alum-tawed pigskin(?); pastedowns made from leaves of a thirteenth-century psalter litany; blind-tooled fillet decoration in a diaper pattern on boards, particularly visible on the lower board; brass clasp added in the fifteenth century(?); spine lettered in an eighteenth-century script, reading "Psalterium Msc. pergam. cum canticis et symbolis"
Provenance Made for use in the Diocese of Constance after 1224; Used by the church of St. Mary of Strasbourg, 14th century; Owned by Dominicans in the 15th century(?); Martin Bassonier, 15th century, [mode of acquisition unknown; signature on back pastedown]; Bénigne-Charles Févret de Saint Mémin (1770-1852), France, [mode of acquisition unknown, bookplate on front pastedown]; Léon Gruel collection, Paris, late 19th or early 20th century, [mode of acquisition unknown]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, before 1931, [acquired from Gruel, mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License