Description The binding is non-original.
Provenance Bishop Karapet, Poghoskan hermitage, 1193, by commission [see dedicatory inscription, fol. 12v and colophon]; Catholicos John VI [Katholikos Ohannes (Yovhannes VI)], before 1221 [mode of acquisition unknown]; Smbat (nephew of Catholicos John VI), 1221, by gift [presented at the patriarchal see of Hromkla, see colophon, fol. 314v]; In the possession of Gevork', son of Nazluxan, in 1770, [mode of acquisition unknown; see inscription on upper board]; Khodja Hovannes (Yohannes), between 14th and 18th centuries, by gift [from Gevork']; Monastery of St. Thomas, between 14th and 18th centuries [mode of acquisition unknown, undated inscription on fol. 314r states that the manuscript was given to the Monastery of T'umay A?ak'eal (Apostle Thomas) in memory of Xawcay Yovanes, his brother Yulut'lu, father Inap, and mother Zatay]; Nazlu Khatun, 1770 [mode of acquisition unknown]; Ter Hohannes, late 18th/early 19th century [mode of acquisition unknown]; New Nakhijevan, Armenia, before 1889 to after 1903; Henry Walters, Baltimore, after 1903 [mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Translation] Inscribed on one upper cover plaque in Armenian: The cross is a memorial of Nazlu Kha[t'un] and her son Gevork', and she gave this healing holy Gospels for the enjoyment of Ter Hohannes, in the year 1770.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License