Description This Psalter was created in northeastern France, a region considered Flanders at the time, during the third quarter of the thirteenth century. It was intended for use within the diocese of Cambrai, and was possibly first owned by a member of a monastic community. Originally an eight-partite Psalter, it is now incomplete and misbound. The Psalter is illustrated with six illuminated initials in the Psalms, and they are notable for their large size. The Psalter is similar in appearance to W.42, as both illustrate Psalm 109 with the Dove of the Holy Spirit within a roundel.
- Making Music in Medieval Manuscripts. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1988-1989.
- The Psalms of David in the Middle Ages. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1996.
Provenance Created for use in Diocese of Cambrai, ca. 1250-1275. Acquired by Léon Gruel, Paris, late 19th-early 20th century ; purchased by Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1905; by bequest to Walters Art Museum, 1931.  Ms. 7, see invoice in Walters Archives
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1905
Download PDF Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License