Description Monogrammed "S. C." in gold letters near the top of the left edge, this devotional plaque is by Suzanne de Court, the only woman enamel painter to sign her work (sometimes in full), but no dated pieces are known. Based on the same source as the Annunciation plaque by Jean Limosin (Walters 44.346), this piece is notable for the brilliance of the translucent enamel colors, especially the garnet red, and the delicately applied gilding, although the overall emphasis on surface pattern, dazzling though it is, nearly flattens out the space.
- Burlington Fine Arts Club, 1897. Burlington Fine Arts Club, London. 1897.
Provenance Frédéric Spitzer, Paris, by purchase; Sale, Paul Chevallier and Charles Mannheim, Paris, April 17, 1893, no. 583; Charles Borradaile, Brighton, by purchase; George Robinson Harding, London, by purchase; Henry Walters, Baltimore [date of acquisition unknown], by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License