Description "Arab Standing in Prayer," shows an aged man on a prayer mat with his eyes uplifted and his hands open in a gesture of intense devotion. The drawing is related to one of Gérôme's most successful compositions, the painting "Prayer on the Rooftops," (Hamburg, Kunsthalle), on which he worked in the early 1860s and which he showed at the Salon of 1865. Gérôme represented a group of men on a rooftop in Cairo at sunset, all facing east in prayer and all at different stages in their worship, with some standing, some seated, and some prostrate against the sky and minarets behind.
|1/01/2002||Treatment||examined for exhibition; repaired; mounted; other|
- A Connoisseur's Portfolio: Nineteenth-century Drawings and Watercolors in the Walters Art Gallery. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1983.
- The Orientalists. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1987-1988.
- Botanical Delights: Floral Motifs in 19th-Century Art. Strathmore Hall Art Center, North Bethesda; Academy of the Arts, Easton, Easton; Government House, Annapolis. 1998-1999.
- A Discerning Eye: Nineteenth-century Drawings and Watercolors. Academy of the Arts, Easton, Easton. 1998-1999.
- The Essence of Line: French Drawings from Ingres to Degas. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore; Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore; Birmingham Museum of Art, Birmingham; Tacoma Art Museum, Tacoma. 2005-2006.
Provenance William T. Walters, Baltimore, 1864, by purchase [from the artist]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1894, by inheritance; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions "à M. Walters/J.L. Gérôme 1864" in graphite, center right
Credit Acquired by William T. Walters, 1864
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License