Description Eugène Isabey began his career assisting his father, the miniaturist J. B. Isabey, with illustrations for a travel book on Italy. In 1825, Isabey made a trip to England, where he was profoundly influenced by the latest trends in watercolor painting. On his return, he specialized in coastal scenes of Normandy in the north of France. Here, Isabey depicts the luminous atmospheric effects at the meeting of sea, shore, and sky with the consummate skill that earned him a reputation as one of the leading Romantic watercolorists.
|4/02/1997||Treatment||loss compensation; repaired; mounted; re-housed|
|1/01/2002||Treatment||examined for exhibition; mounted; other|
- Eugène Isabey. Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge. 1967.
- Jongkind and the Pre-Impressionists. Smith College Museum of Art, Northampton; The Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown. 1976-1977.
- A Supple Brush: The Flowering of Continental Watercolors. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1979.
- A Connoisseur's Portfolio: Nineteenth-century Drawings and Watercolors in the Walters Art Gallery. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1983.
- Artists as Travellers. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1988.
- French Master Drawings. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1997-1998.
- A Discerning Eye: Nineteenth-century Drawings and Watercolors. Academy Art Museum, Easton. 1998-1999.
- Botanical Delights: Floral Motifs in 19th-Century Art. Government House, Annapolis; Strathmore Hall Art Center, North Bethesda; Academy Art Museum, Easton. 1998-1999.
- The Essence of Line: French Drawings from Ingres to Degas. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore; Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore; Birmingham Museum of Art, Birmingham; Tacoma Art Museum, Tacoma. 2005-2006.
- Setting Sail: Drawings of the Sea from WAM. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2011.
Provenance William T. Walters, Baltimore, before 1884, [mode of acquisition unknown]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1894, by inheritance; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions "E. Isabey 1836 (?)" in brown iron gall ink lower right
Credit Acquired by William T. Walters, before 1884
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License