Description The device at the center of this bowl is likely a variation of the arms of the Chigi family of Rome but the six “mountains” as a motif was used as well by the Montini. The sprays of foliage at the sides could refer to the delle Rovere family (branches of oak leaves) who were important patrons of the Chigi in the first half of the 1500s. The initials visible to the right and left of the coat of arms have not been identified, but likely belong to the bowl’s original owner. During the sixteenth century, many families commissioned elaborate maiolica services embellished with their heraldry. The bowl’s broad rim is decorated with patterns influenced by Islamic ceramics and metal wares that were highly sought after in Renaissance Italy. The back is painted bluish-white and decorated with spirals in luster. The bowl is painted with a luster glaze, a specialty of Giorgio Andreoli’s workshop. For more information on Giorgio Andreoli see 48.1331. To view other works by the artist and his workshop, click on his name in the “creator” field. For “maiolica” in general, see 48.1336
Provenance Seligmann, Rey & Co, New York [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1908, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Transcription] On the front, on either side of the coat of arms, in black: CP / CO
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1908
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License