Description The Roman practice of mounting gold coins as jewelry continued in the Early Byzantine period with this section from a necklace. The other half would have been a mirror image, with gold and lapis lazuli "double-cone" beads and two more coins of Emperor Maurice Tiberios (ruled 582-602). The cross pendant, seen here with a glass bead, may once have contained a precious stone.
- Early Christian and Byzantine Art. Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore. 1947.
- Jewelry - Ancient to Modern. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1979-1980.
Provenance [Found in Upper Egypt]; Dikran Kelekian, New York and Paris [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1909, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1909
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License