Description This basin has been attributed to the Patanazzi workshop, a group of four family members who succeeded the Fontana workshop in the 1560s as the most prominent maiolica painters in Urbino. The Patanazzi are credited with the introduction of the kind of decorative scheme we see here: a central allegorical figure surrounded by bands of varying widths featuring patterns of decorative grotesques. The olive branch held by this woman is a traditional attribute of peace.
Provenance De Courmont Collection [date and mode of acqusition unknown] (?); Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1908, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1908
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License