Description In his depiction of this tender moment between Mary and Christ, the artist emphasizes the figures' human qualities, such as their supple flesh, and the intimate relationship between mother and child. Bartolomeo Vivarini and his brother Antonio led active painting workshops in Venice during the 15th century, mainly producing devotional paintings like this one. During this time, Ethiopian rulers invited Italian painters to their courts, where local artists studied their work. Compare this painting with a traditional Ethiopian icon, especially for the similar arrangement of Mary and Christ, the soft treatment of their bodies, and the close interaction between mother and son. For more information on this painting, please see Federico Zeri's 1976 catalogue no. 165, p. 246.
Provenance Henry Walters, Baltimore, after 1929, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Transcription] On cartellino on modern added member: BARTHOLOMEVS VIVARINVS | DE MURANO PINXIT, 1477
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License