Description Twenty-four finches, varying in pose and color, are perched in a row. This watercolor is a variant of one of the artist's most popular subjects, "Un bâton de cage." Another variation of this composition in the Lucas Collection of The Baltimore Museum of Art is inscribed: "Giacomelli a Mr. Lucas affecteux souvenir d'une aquarelle." Henri Beraldi wrote of this artist, "Giacomelli is the Van Huysum [Jan Van Huysum, 1682-1749, Dutch flower-painter] of tiny birds, tender and ravishing, which give the impression of being pensive. The bird is to Giacomelli what the cat is to Lambert [Louis-Eugène Lambert, 1825-1900, French painter who specialized in cat subjects]. A respectable bird must be a Giacomelli bird; A non-Giacomelli bird is a false bird," (H. Beraldi, "Les Graveurs du XIXE siècle," Paris, 1885-92, 7:105).
|1/01/2002||Treatment||examined for exhibition; cleaned; other|
- A Supple Brush: The Flowering of Continental Watercolors. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1979.
- A Connoisseur's Portfolio: Nineteenth-century Drawings and Watercolors in the Walters Art Gallery. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1983.
- French Master Drawings. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1997-1998.
- A Discerning Eye: Nineteenth-century Drawings and Watercolors. Academy Art Museum, Easton. 1998-1999.
- Botanical Delights: Floral Motifs in 19th-Century Art. Government House, Annapolis; Strathmore Hall Art Center, North Bethesda; Academy Art Museum, Easton. 1998-1999.
- The Essence of Line: French Drawings from Ingres to Degas. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore; Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore; Birmingham Museum of Art, Birmingham; Tacoma Art Museum, Tacoma. 2005-2006.
- Public Property. 2012.
Provenance William T. Walters, Baltimore, March 21, 1884, by purchase [from the artist, George A. Lucas as agent]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1894, by inheritance; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions "H. Giacomelli" in graphite reinforced with watercolor in lower left edge, partially cropped
Credit Acquired by William T. Walters, 1884
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License