Description While studying in Italy from 1859 to 1863, Dubois was profoundly influenced by Italian Renaissance sculpture. This work was inspired by Michelangelo's statue from the tomb of Lorenzo de' Medici in Florence. Dubois originally sculpted this piece along with "Charity, Meditation, and Faith" as the corner statues for the tomb erected in the cathedral of Nantes, France, for General Jucault de Lamoricière (1806-65), a commander of the French army in North Africa. The Barbedienne foundry later issued this sculpture in various sizes. A life-size version, donated to Baltimore by William T. Walters in 1885, stands in the Mount Vernon Place.
- War à la Mode: Military Painting from the Forbes Collection. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1977.
- Harborplace Light Street Pavilion Special Display. Harborplace, Baltimore. 1980.
Provenance William T. Walters, Baltimore, ca. 1886 [mode of acquisition unknown]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1894, by inheritance; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Signature] On back of base: P.Dubois
Credit Acquired by William T. Walters, ca. 1886
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License