Description This book of sermons in German and Latin was made in the second half of the fifteenth century. The parchment flyleaves, containing texts from Donatus' work on grammar, were written slightly earlier than the manuscript and used as pastedowns. The manuscript is exceptional for retaining its original binding of cuir-cisele (chiseled leather) over wood boards. The binding is of a type current in the Austrian Tyrol at this period. Also a note on fol. 133v refers to Bernhard von Gottesgnaden (or von Rohr), archbishop of Salzburg from 1466 to 1481. These pieces of evidence locate the collection of sermons in Salzburg. Although the manuscript is lacking in miniatures or decorated initials, red ink is used for initials and rubrics marking the beginning of each sermon.
- Illuminated Manuscripts: Masterpieces in Miniature. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1984-1985.
Provenance Bernhard of Salzburg (1466-1481) [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Michelin (?) de Polendorf, 16th century [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Joseph Brummer Collection, Parke-Bernet Galleries, his sale, May 23, 1949, lot no. 166; Walters Art Museum, 1949, by purchase.
Credit Museum Purchase, 1949
Download PDF Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License