Description This unusually large ivory carving, its shape corresponding to the shape of a tusk, shows the Christ Child embracing his mother in a pose of tender intimacy. It is one of the earliest examples of what in later Byzantine times was called Eleousa, or "Virgin of Tenderness." The relief was likely to have been used for private devotion, in either a monastic or domestic setting, as an icon (Greek for "image"). Especially striking and typical of the early medieval period in Christian Egypt are the Virgin's large head, fixed gaze, and angular drapery.
|12/13/1962||Examination||examined for loan|
- Early Christian and Byzantine Art. Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore. 1947.
- Ivory: The Sumptuous Art. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1983-1984.
- Déjà Vu? Recurrence. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2007-2008.
Provenance Cologne, 1870s; M.-B. Meyers, Strasbourg, 1877, by purchase; Sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, November 26, 1877; Michel Boy, Paris [date of acquisition unknown], by purchase; Sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, May 15, 1905, no. 240; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1905, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1905
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License