Description In a marginal illumination framing the Annunciation (the angel Gabriel's announcement to the Virgin Mary that she will give birth to the son of God), lovers play musical instruments and backgammon in a garden of love. The profane pleasure garden is contrasted with the purity and sanctity of Mary's garden, the enclosed garden suggested by the gilded leaf pattern in the background.
- Making Music in Medieval Manuscripts. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1988-1989.
- Decadent Decades: The Medieval Clothes Horse. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1989.
- Medieval Games of Love and War. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1995-1996.
- Music in Manuscripts. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1996-1997.
- Checkmate! Medieval People at Play. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2010.
- Paradise Imagined: Images of the Garden in the Islamic and Christian World. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2012.
- A Feast for the Senses: Art and Experience in Medieval Europe. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore; The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota. 2016-2017.
Provenance Gruel and Engelmann, Paris [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, after 1894, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, after 1894
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License