Description The celebration of the Divine Liturgy is one of the most important ceremonies in the Christian Church. This ladle is part of a silver service (with Walters 57.634, 57.635, 57.642, 57.644, 57.645, 57.649, 57.650, and 57.638) that is one of only four to survive from the first "golden age" of Byzantium (6th century). Each of the vessels in this service performed a sacred function in the liturgical service. Strainers and spoons were used to filter and stir the wine. This silver service was found in Syria in 1910, in the village of Kurin. The Greek form of its name, Kaper Koraon, is inscribed on several pieces in the treasure, including a chalice, which reads: "...treasure of the Church of St. Sergios of the village of Kaper Koraon." Almost all of the vessels record the names of donors who gave pieces from their private dinner services in fulfillment of a vow, to gain divine blessing, or in prayer for salvation.
|1/12/1985||Technical Report||examined for technical study|
- Early Christian and Byzantine Art. Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore. 1947.
- Silver Treasure from Early Byzantium. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1986.
Provenance [Excavated in Syria, 1908-1910]; Tawfic Abucasem, Hama and Port Said, ca. 1913, by purchase; Joseph Brummer, Paris, ca. 1928, by purchase; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1929, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Translation] + For the remission of the sins of Stephen
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1929
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License