Description Rendered in chiseled gold with inlays in quatrecouleur, this chatelaine was made by Jean Louis Baron. From the upper, triangular hook-plate is suspended a row of four plaques connected by circular links. Running between the upper plate and the bottom plaque, on each side is a row of three S-shaped scrolls also connected by links. Two identical scrolls hanging from the corners of the hook-plate terminate in swivel hooks. Both the plate and the suspended plaques are decorated with circular and oval, musical and pastoral trophies on striated grounds. A loop has been soldered to the hook for purposes of display.
- Jewelry - Ancient to Modern. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1979-1980.
- Objects of Adornment: Five Thousand Years of Jewelry from the Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum, New York; Chrysler Museum of Art, Norfolk; Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburgh; San Antonio Museum of Art, San Antonio; Philbrook Museum of Art, Tulsa; Honolulu Academy of Arts, Honolulu; New Orleans Museum of Art, New Orleans; Milwaukee Art Museum, Milwaukee; Minneapolis Institute of Art, Minneapolis; Toledo Museum of Art, Toledo; The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota. 1984-1987.
- Jewelry from the Walters Art Gallery and the Zucker Family Collection. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1987.
Provenance Anatole Demidoff, Prince of San Donato [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Sale, Tiffany & Co., New York, 1893, lot 84; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1893, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1893
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License