Description This form of vase with angular handles hung with laurel garlands was introduced at Sèvres in 1768. The gilded arabesques on the turquoise or "bleu céleste" ground were painted by the gilder M. B. Chauvaux, le père. This vase is one of a pair with WAM 48.569.
Provenance Madame Dhainaut Sale, Paris, May 1924, no. 46; E. M. Hodgkins Collection, Paris, no. 47 [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; A. Seligmann, Rey and Co., New York; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1928, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Factory Mark] Intertwined Lls; [Date] Letter in blue: U (1773); [Gilder's Mark] # (Chauvaux, Michel Barnabé, père)
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1928
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License