Description This statuette once topped a large candlestick or chandelier. The figure is hollow, and the large opening on its top is a result of the casting process. Smaller holes on the sides of the Virgin's head show that she once wore a crown. Her right hand, separately cast and attached by a pin, originally likely held a scepter or a lily (symbol of Mary's purity). The grapes clasped by the infant Christ allude to the wine of Communion and, thus, to the blood shed by him at Calvary.
|4/15/1955||Treatment||cleaned; examined for exhibition|
|10/23/2007||Examination||examined for condition|
- Realms of Faith: Medieval and Byzantine Art from the Walters Art Museum. Museum of Biblical Art, New York; Colby College Museum of Art, Waterville; Joslyn Art Museum, Omaha. 2008-2009.
Provenance Stefano Bardini, Florence, by purchase; Sale, Christie's, London, June 5, 1899 or May 26, 1902; George Robinson Harding, London [date of acquisition unknown], by purchase; Henry Walters, Baltimore [date of acquisition unknown], by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License