Description Hollow hoop with an oblong bezel engraved with a griffin facing a lion. The animals are separated and surrounded by a hatched line. Cartouche rings, ultimately of Egyptian origin, are the earliest type of ring known in Etruria, popular in the late 7th and 6th centuries.
|12/07/1978||Examination||examined for condition|
- Jewelry - Ancient to Modern. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1979-1980.
Provenance Joseph Brummer, Paris and New York, [date and mode of acquisition unknown] [as part of "Jugoslavian Treasure"]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1927, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1927
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License