Description This manuscript was created in the seventeenth century, perhaps in Constantinople, based on the style of its illumination. The Gospel cycle that precedes the text contains slightly more miniatures than is traditional; especially notable are the tworepresenting the feeding of the five thousand and the cleansing of the Templewhich come out of sequence at the end of the cycle. The miniatures in this manuscript, like many at this time, reflect the mingling of traditional Cilician and Western influences. Though the manuscript does not include a colophon, the signature of the painter, Hohannes, is visible on the bottom of the canon tables on fols. 29v-30r. This manuscript appears to have been well traveled: at some point, very small inscriptions in Greek were added to most of the miniatures; in 1883, it belonged to Georg Alexief of Moscow, according to a note in Russian on fol. 1r.
|12/31/1969||Examination||examined for condition; media consolidation; repaired; splits mended|
|8/19/2015||Treatment||binding stabilized; repaired|
- Flight, Fantasy, Faith, Fact. Dayton Art Institute, Dayton. 1953-1954.
- Illuminated Manuscripts: Masterpieces in Miniature. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1984-1985.
- Treasures in Heaven: Armenian Manuscript Illumination. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1988.
- Treasures in Heaven: Armenian Illuminated Manuscripts. The Morgan Library & Museum, New York; The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1994.
- Armenian Church Liturgy. Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, Washington. 2001.
- The Cross and the Crescent: Books from the Ottoman Age. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2003.
- From Rye to Raphael: The Walters Story. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2014-2016.
Provenance Georg Alexeef, Moscow, 1883 [mode of acquisition unknown]; Henry Walters, Baltimore [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download PDF Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License