Description This page once prefaced the Gospel text of John in Mount Athos at the Monastery of Great Lavra (MS A76), dating to the late thirteenth century. The verso of St. John is illustrated with Christ appearing to his disciples after the Resurrection (Walters W.530.GV). Other detached leaves from this manuscript are now found in Paris, École nationale supérieure des beaux-arts (Mn.Mas 2), and St. Petersburg, National Library of Russia (MS gr. 305).
- Pages from Medieval and Renaissance Illuminated Manuscripts from the 10th to the Early 15th Centuries. University Art Gallery, University of California Berkeley, Berkeley. 1963.
- Splendor in Books. Grolier Club, New York; The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1977-1978.
- Illuminated Manuscripts: Masterpieces in Miniature. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1984-1985.
- To Arrest the Ravages of Time: Caring for Art at the Walters. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1996.
- Byzantium: Faith and Power (1261-1557). The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. 2004.
Provenance [Folios 107bis in Mount Athos, Great Lavra MS A76]; Leon Gruel, Paris [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Henry Walters, Baltimore [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License