Description St. Reparata was the patron saint of Florence, and the city's cathedral was dedicated to her (in 1298, it was replaced by a new cathedral dedicated to the Virgin Mary). The saint appears here with her attribute, the flag with a cross. The contrast between the lightly chiseled lines of the cloth backdrop and the deeply cut folds of St. Reparata's dress enhance her physical presence. Relief sculptures such as this were often found in tomb decoration or on choir screens (the barriers that separated the nave from the sanctuary).
Provenance Don Marcello Massarenti Collection, Rome [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1902, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters with the Massarenti Collection, 1902
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License