Description A lively satyr (half-goat, half-man) carries a large bundle on this fragment of a plaque. The figure is carved in low relief, with colored wax used to highlight the patterns. Bone plaques were used to decorate wooden boxes and chests, like the one seen in this case, and were owned by pagans and Christians alike.
Provenance Dikran Kelekian, New York, Constantinople, and Paris; Henry Walters, Baltimore [date of acquisition unknown], by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License