Description This statue fragment depicts a shepherd carrying a lamb and is possibly a representation of the Good Shepherd. The figure wears a tunic that is tied at the waist and holds the hind feet of the lamb with his right hand, the fore feet with his left. The head of the sculpture is gone, and it is broken near the knees. It is carved in the round.There are iron pins set into the legs; the marble is discolored around the iron.
|1/01/1992||Technical Report||x-ray diffraction; other|
- Early Christian and Byzantine Art. Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore. 1947.
Provenance Don Marcello Massarenti Collection, Rome, by 1894, [mode of acquisition unknown] [marble no. 42]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1902, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters with the Massarenti Collection, 1902
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License