Description This is one of the more wearable pieces by Lalique purchased by Henry Walters at the Saint Louis World's Fair in 1904. A pale pink pearl is surrounded by leaves and fruit of laurel extending from a short central stalk. The branches are enameled brown and the leaves are covered with thin white, translucent enamel. The clusters of fruit are carved of white mother-of-pearl. Such careful observation of nature combined with unusual combinations of materials is typical of Lalique's Art Nouveau jewelry production.
|6/13/1983||Examination||examined for loan|
|11/17/1987||Examination||examined for condition|
- Jewelry - Ancient to Modern. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1979-1980.
- Objects of Adornment: Five Thousand Years of Jewelry from the Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum, New York; Chrysler Museum of Art, Norfolk; Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburgh; San Antonio Museum of Art, San Antonio; Philbrook Museum of Art, Tulsa; Honolulu Academy of Arts, Honolulu; New Orleans Museum of Art, New Orleans; Milwaukee Art Museum, Milwaukee; Minneapolis Institute of Art, Minneapolis; Toledo Museum of Art, Toledo; The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota. 1984-1987.
- Jewelry from the Walters Art Gallery and the Zucker Family Collection. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1987.
- From Rye to Raphael: The Walters Story. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore. 2014-2016.
Provenance World's Fair, St. Louis, Missouri, 1904 [no. 24]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1904, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1904
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License