Description To the traditional image of the Crucifixion has been added a Latin inscription from Isaiah "By whose wounds we are healed." The passage was interpreted as referring to Christ's death on the cross as the way to salvation. On the back is an image of Mary with the Christ Child, so the pendant alludes to the role of Mary, a symbol of the Christian Church, in human redemption.
|1/27/1988||Treatment||cleaned; examined for condition|
|5/09/1991||Examination||examined for condition|
- Jewelry - Ancient to Modern. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1979-1980.
Provenance Henry Walters, Baltimore [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions Inscription around Crucifixion: CVIVS. LIVORE. SANATI. SVMVS.[Translation: By whose wounds we are healed] Inscription on the reverse: AVE. SAN. MARIA. MAT. DEI. [Translation: Hail Saint Mary, Mother of God]
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License