Description The workshop of Agnolo Gaddi produced this panel painting with two saints, which originally occupied the right side of a large polyptych (a painting group made up of several panels). Agnolo Gaddi combined the bold, monumental style of murals with the delicate, linear technique of panel painting. The overlapping forms of the saints' bodies and their union in a single panel are innovations that painters used to create a sense of depth and three-dimensional volume toward the end of the fourteenth century. Agnolo Gaddi (d. 1369) traced his artistic ancestry back to Giotto through his father Taddeo (d. 1366).
|12/31/1969||Examination||examined for condition|
|2/24/1977||Examination||examined for condition|
|2/24/1977||Treatment||examined for condition; inpainted; other; surface cleaned|
Provenance Don Marcello Massarenti Collection, Rome [1881 catalogue: no. 18 as Tuscan School, 14th century; 1897 catalogue: no. 67 as school of Giotto]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1902, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters with the Massarenti Collection, 1902
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License