Description This panel depicting Saints Augustine, Jerome and Gregory the Great, all of whom were esteemed as Doctors of the Church and great theologians, was originally part of a large, multi-paneled altarpiece painted in 1533 for the church of Sant'Agostino alla Zecca in Naples. Other panels from the altarpiece—including the monumental central section depicting the Disputation of Saint Augustine, the predella (base) with Christ blessing surrounded by the apostles, and another panel with three apostles debating scripture—survive in the Capodimonte Museum in Naples.
Provenance Don Marcello Massarenti Collection, Rome [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1902, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters with the Massarenti Collection, 1902
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License