Description The protective qualities ascribed to rock crystal, its perceived purity, and its status as a semiprecious stone made it attractive for a crucifix, the arms of which are embellished with sunbursts. The figure of Christ was modeled in gold and then partially enameled. On the reverse there is a relief of the Virgin and Child seated on a column with a black cross. Devotion to Our Lady of the Pillar derives from the tradition that she was transported by angels in 40 A. D. to advise St. James on his mission to Spain. Before returning to Palestine she asked that the marble pillar on which she stood should be enclosed in a church dedicated to her at Saragossa.
|6/16/1983||Loan Consideration||examined for loan|
|1/26/1988||Examination||examined for condition|
|5/09/1991||Examination||examined for condition|
- Jewelry - Ancient to Modern. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1979-1980.
- Objects of Adornment: Five Thousand Years of Jewelry from the Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum, New York; Chrysler Museum of Art, Norfolk; Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburgh; San Antonio Museum of Art, San Antonio; Philbrook Museum of Art, Tulsa; Honolulu Academy of Arts, Honolulu; New Orleans Museum of Art, New Orleans; Milwaukee Art Museum, Milwaukee; Minneapolis Institute of Art, Minneapolis; Toledo Museum of Art, Toledo; The John and Mable Ringling Museum of Art, Sarasota. 1984-1987.
- Jewelry from the Walters Art Gallery and the Zucker Family Collection. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1987.
Provenance Henry Walters, Baltimore [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License