Description This pin has decorative interlace panels and tri-lobed knots cast on its annular (circular) ring. Tri-lobed knots are often found in Irish illuminated manuscripts of the period where they are a symbol of the Trinity. Amber or glass paste studs once filled the now-empty circular hollows. This pin was found at Ballinderry Crannog, once the fortified lake dwelling of a local Irish king.
|8/24/1998||Treatment||coated; loss compensation; cleaned; other|
- Early Christian and Byzantine Art. Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore. 1947.
- Medieval Art. Philbrook Museum of Art, Tulsa. 1965.
- Jewelry - Ancient to Modern. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1979-1980.
Provenance Robert Day, Cork [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Robert Day Sale, Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge, London, May 19-22, 1913, no. 384; William Randolph Hearst; Joseph Brummer, Paris; Joseph Brummer Sale, Parke-Bernet Galleries, New York, May 11-14, 1949, no. 277; Walters Art Museum, 1949, by purchase.
Credit Museum purchase, 1949
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License