Description Round or rectangular panels of stained glass added decoration as well as changing colored light patterns to a room. They were set into larger windows made up of small segments of clear glass in either a diamond or round (bull's-eye or bottle) pattern, held together with strips of metal. Within the quatrefoil (four-lobe design) are jousting knights, who bear the coats of arms of the Geuder and Rieter von Kronburg families, with their heralds gathered below. The centrally featured coats of arms are the Habsburg double-headed eagle with the combined arms of the houses of Austria and Burgundy on its breast, the Nuremberg "virgin eagle" (municipal emblem) with (to the right) the arms of Nuremberg as an imperial city, and, below, the stars of the Geuder family.
- 3000 Years of Glass: Treasures from The Walters Art Gallery. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1982.
- Gothic and Renaissance Art in Nuremberg 1300-1550. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; Germanisches Nationalmuseum, Nuremberg. 1986.
Provenance Gender von Heroltsberg family, by commission; H. G. Gutekunst, Stuttgart, 1877 [mode of acquisition unknown]; Felix, Leipzig, 1911 [mode of acquisition unknown]; Stillwell, New York [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Arnold Seligmann, Rey and Co. [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1951, by purchase.
Credit Museum purchase, 1951
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License