Description The luminescence of mother-of-pearl comes out in this delicate appliqué carving of Saint George triumphing over a lizard-like dragon. This fragment is all that remains of a circular relief that was attached to a reliquary (probably destroyed) in a famous collection of liturgical vessels established by Cardinal Albrecht of Brandenburg (1490-1545) in Halle, Germany. The reliquary, with the relief, was documented in a drawing made about 1520 for a catalogue of the collection.
|10/04/1989||Examination||examined for exhibition|
- World of Wonder. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1971-1972.
- Treasures of Heaven. The Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland; The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore; The British Museum, London. 2010-2011.
Provenance Miss Dorothy Miner [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1942, by gift.
Credit Gift of Miss Dorothy Miner, 1942
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License