Description In the 1860s the great caricaturist Daumier produced a number of drawings exploring the reactions of viewers to works of art. In this example, one of several set in a studio, the haughty, aloof artist awaits the presumably enthusiastic responses of his visitors.
|1/25/1971||Treatment||cleaned; mounted; re-housed|
|10/09/1989||Loan Consideration||examined for loan|
|10/09/1989||Treatment||examined for loan; other|
|2/12/1992||Loan Consideration||examined for loan|
|1/01/2002||Treatment||examined for exhibition; mounted; other|
|10/06/2004||Loan Consideration||examined for loan|
- From Ingres to Gauguin: French Nineteenth Century Paintings Owned in Maryland. Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore. 1951.
- Daumier, 1808-1879. Pennsylvania Museum of Art, Philadelphia, Philadelphia. 1937.
- La Caricature. École des beaux-arts, Paris, Paris. 1888.
- Van Clouet to Matisse. Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen, Rotterdam; Musée de l'Orangerie, Paris; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. 1958-1959.
- Daumier: Paintings, Drawings, Sculpture, Prints. Smith College Museum of Art, Northampton. 1961.
- A Supple Brush: The Flowering of Continental Watercolors. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1979.
- A Connoisseur's Portfolio: Nineteenth-century Drawings and Watercolors in the Walters Art Gallery. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1983.
- Daumier and the Art of Caricature. Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore. 1989-1990.
- Daumier 1808-1879. National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa; Musee D'Orsay, Paris; The Phillips Collection, Washington. 1999-2000.
- The Essence of Line: French Drawings from Ingres to Degas. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore; Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore; Birmingham Museum of Art, Birmingham; Tacoma Art Museum, Tacoma. 2005-2006.
Provenance P. Aubry, Paris, March 20, 1877, by purchase [from the artist]; Mme Aubry [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Paul Durand-Ruel, Paris, 1895 [mode of acquisition unknown]; Cyrus J. Lawrence (1886-1910), New York [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Cyrus J. Lawrence Sale, American Art Association, New York, January 21-22, 1910, lot 34; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1910, by purchase [using the alias Henry Chester]; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Signature] Lower right in brown ink: h. Daumier
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1910
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License