Description The Madonna holds the Christ Child and is flanked by two angels and Saints Jerome (at the left) and Bernardino of Siena (at the right). Bernardino (1380-1444) holds up a tablet monogrammed with the name of Christ. The monogram is partly covered by Jesus' head to show us its true meaning. The naturalistic modeling of the figures and their overlapping spatial arrangement reveal Matteo di Giovanni's mastery of the new way of creating pictorial space. At the same time, as a tribute to his native city, he includes the traditional Sienese gold ground of earlier centuries.
|12/04/1989||Examination||examined for conditon|
|12/12/1989||Examination||examined for technical study|
Provenance Kleinberger Galleries, New York, 1924 [mode of acquisition unknown]; Duveen Brothers, 1925 [mode of acquisition unknown]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1925 [mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Transcription] On the Virgin's halo: VIRGHO. DECV[S]. CARMELI; [Translation] On the Virgin's halo: Virgin, Pride of the Carmel
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1925
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License