Description A Bengal tiger gazes directly at the viewer. Working in a technique popularized by British watercolorists in the early 19th century, Barye used thin washes of color to capture the atmospheric effects in the cloudy sky and to suggest the indistinct forms in the landscape.
|11/11/1983||Examination||examined for condition|
|1/01/2002||Treatment||examined for exhibition; examined for loan; re-housed; mounted; other|
- The Works of Antoine-Louis Barye. American Art Gallery (New York), New York. 1889-1890.
- The Wild Kingdom of Antoine-Louis Barye, 1795-1875. Wildenstein & Company, New York. 1994.
- French Master Drawings. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1997-1998.
- Botanical Delights: Floral Motifs in 19th-Century Art. Government House, Annapolis; Strathmore Hall Art Center, North Bethesda; Academy Art Museum, Easton. 1998-1999.
- A Discerning Eye: Nineteenth-century Drawings and Watercolors. Academy Art Museum, Easton. 1998-1999.
- The Essence of Line: French Drawings from Ingres to Degas. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore; Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore; Birmingham Museum of Art, Birmingham; Tacoma Art Museum, Tacoma. 2005-2006.
- Untamed: The Art of Antoine-Louis Barye. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore; Philbrook Museum of Art, Tulsa; The Henry Morrison Flagler Museum, Palm Beach. 2007-2008.
Provenance Barye Sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, February 7-12, 1876, lot 164; Mme Veuve Barye, Paris; William T. Walters, Baltimore, January 17, 1885, by purchase [George A. Lucas as agent]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1894, by inheritance; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Signature] Painted in red watercolor at lower left corner: BARYE; [Number] Written in graphite in center on verso: no. 60; [Number] Crossed out in graphite at right of center on verso: 60; [Notations] Two sets of mathematical calculations, possibly prices, in graphite in upper right quadrant on verso; [Transcription] Stamped from red wax seal on back of mount: Vente Barye.
Credit Acquired by William T. Walters, 1885
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License