Description This vase (one of a pair) is turquoise blue ("bleu céleste") and shows a scene of soldiers resting by a campfire on one side, painted in the manner of P. Wouwermans (1619-1668) by Charles Nicolas Dodin, and military trophies on the other. The gilding is by Etienne-Henry Le Guay. The handles terminate in a relief leaves which travel down the underside of the vase, ancored by cubic forms at the rim. The shoulders have painted panels in a fan-shape with rosettes in pink divided by a gilt trellis. The vase sits on a rectangular plinth, and is topped with a berry knop. The Bearsted Collection in England has a similar pair with marine scenes.
|5/07/1959||Treatment||repaired; loss compensation|
Provenance Earl of Pembroke; Earl of Pembroke Collection Sale, May 8, 1851, lot 383; Mrs. Lyne Stephes [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Baron Schroeder [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Baron Schroder Sale, Christie's, July 5, 1910, lots 45 and 46; E. M. Hodgkins Collection, Paris, no. 64 [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; A. Seligmann, Rey and Co., New York; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1928, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions Visible marks. [Factory Mark] Intertwined Lls; [Date] Letters in blue: bb (1779); [Decorator's Mark] In blue: K (Dodin, Charles-Nicolas [1734-1803]); [Gilder's Mark] In black: LG (Le Guay [de Saint-cloud], Etienne-Henry, aîné, père [1719/20-c.1799])
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License