Description This reconstructed wood and bone box was probably used by a wealthy woman to store her precious jewelry. Two different techniques were used to carve the bone plaques on its sides and top. For a number of the male nudes, the carver scraped away the background, leaving the figures in raised relief. For other plaques, such as the female dancers, deep fine outlines were carved first, then filled in with colored wax.
- Early Christian and Byzantine Art. Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore. 1947.
- Beyond the Pharaohs: Egypt and the Copts in the Second to Seventh Centuries A.D.. Museum of Art, Rhode Island School of Design, Providence; The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1989.
Provenance Dikran Kelekian, Constantinople, Paris, and New York; Henry Walters, Baltimore [date of acquisition unknown], by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License