Description The head of a large workshop, Bernardo Daddi was one of the most prolific painters of 14th-century Florence. This work is the central panel of a polyptych, or multi-panel altarpiece, and would have been flanked by images of saints. The painter gave the Madonna and Child a physical, three-dimensional presence by making their fingers disappear behind the fabric of their clothing. Christ's right arm also extends behind the Virgin's left shoulder. The linear decoration cut into the haloes and the minimal use of punch-work in the gold ground is typical of Florentine painting of this period. For more information on this piece, please see Zeri catalogue number 4, pp. 8-9.
|1/01/1900||Examination||examined for condition|
|5/06/1942||Treatment||other; re-framed; varnish removed or reduced|
|1/01/1988||Treatment||cleaned; coated; inpainted; varnish removed or reduced|
|1/11/1988||Examination||examined for condition|
|1/28/1988||Treatment||varnish removed or reduced|
|6/27/1988||Examination||examined for condition; other|
- An Exhibition of the Treasures of The Walters Art Gallery. The Walters Art Museum, Baltimore; Smith College Museum of Art, Northampton; Pace Wildenstein Gallery, New York. 1967.
Provenance Bernard Berenson [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1911, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1911
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License