Description This vase and its pair (48.625), are decorated with the "bleu nouveau" ground color and have handles in the form of rings of laurel leaves. The vases are decorated with panels showing amorous shepherds and shepherdesses. Pithou the elder painted these scenes after Francois Boucher's paintings "La Musique pastorale" and "Les Amusements de la campagne" (1743).
Provenance Collection of Sir Anthony Rothschild [according to Hodgkins, remains to be verified]; E. M. Hodgkins Collection, Paris, no. 51 [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; A. Seligmann, Rey and Co., New York; Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1928, by purchase; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Factory Mark] Intertwined Lls; [Date] Letter: T (1772); [Modeler's Mark] Incised in the glaze: PT (initials could refer to either Pierre-Edmond Tristant aîné (c.1741-1788), a turner, repairer, and sculptor of soft and hard paste; or Philibert Choulet aîné (op.1756-1779), a turner and possibly repairer of soft and hard paste)
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1928
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License