Description The decoration here features the signs of the zodiac, including Leo and Gemini on either side of Cancer.
|1/09/2012||Examination||Examined for loan|
|1/09/2012||Examination||Cleaned for exhibition|
- Exhibition of Persian Art. Iranian Institute, New York. 1940.
- The Arts of Persia. 1949.
- Islamic Art. The Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland. 1944-1945.
- The Arts of Islam. Hayward Gallery, London. 1976.
- Calligraphy in the Arts of the Muslim World. Asia House Gallery, New York; Cincinnati Art Museum, Cincinnati; Seattle Art Museum, Seattle; Saint Louis Art Museum, St. Louis. 1979.
- Beauty and Belief: Crossing Bridges with the Arts of Islam. Brigham Young University Museum of Art, Provo; Indianapolis Museum of Art, Indianapolis. 2012-2013.
Provenance Peytel Collection, Paris [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Henry Walters, Baltimore [date and mode of acquisition unknown]; Walters Art Museum, 1931, by bequest.
Inscriptions [Translation] on neck: Glory, prosperity, wealth, contentment, glory, [Muhammad's intercession], favor and long life, perpetual; [Translation] On body: Victory, blessing, ascendancy, well-being, prosperity, ?, ?, gratitude, perpetuity, ?, Muhammad's intercession and long life always.
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License