Description This neoclassical vase (one of a pair) is distinguished by its satyr-head handles. The ground is a color known as "bleu nouveau," and rich oak and laurel garlands in gold surround the painted decorations. At Sèvres, a plaster model for this oviform shape is inscribed with the name of the sculptor Etienne-Maurice Falconet (1716-1791), but the designer was more likely the director of sculpture at the manufactory, Louis-Simon Boizot (1743-1809). Jean-Louis Morin (1731-1787) decorated the vase with harbor scenes, and Jean Pierre Boulanger père (1722-1785) was responsible for the gilding. There is a similar vase in the Wallace Collection, as well as in the Palazzo Pitti in Florence.
- Maryland Heritage: European Art at the Time of the Revolution. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. 1976.
Provenance Lady Ashburaton Collection (?). E. M. Hodgkins Collection, Paris . A. Seligmann, Rey and Co., New York; purchased by Henry Walters, Baltimore, 1928; by bequest to Walters Art Museum, 1931.  no. 44
Inscriptions Visible marks. [Factory Mark] In blue: Intertwined Lls; [Date] Letter in blue: Y (1776); [Decorator's Mark] In blue: M (Morin, Jean-Louis [1732-1787]); [Decorator's Mark] In blue: B (Boulanger, Jean Pierre père [1722-1785])
Credit Acquired by Henry Walters, 1928
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License