Description This mosaic fragment, together with Walters 43.19, decorated the floor of a Roman house in Tunisia, North Africa. In a circular frame, a partridge stands between two marsh plants. The naturalistic detail brought the charm of the outdoors to the interior domestic setting.
Provenance [Excavated at the arsenal in Sousse, Tunisia, 1896]; François Goiran, Sousse, Tunisia, 1896; Roger Goiran, Gloucester, MA, [date of acquisition unknown], by bequest; Walters Art Museum, 1974, by purchase.
Credit Museum purchase with funds provided by the S. & A. P. Fund, 1974
Download Image Add to Collection Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Creative Commons License